Malabar Style Crab Curry2015-08-03
Crab - 1 kg
Shallots - 10
Green chilly chopped - 2 tbsp
Chilly powder - 2 tbsp
(soaked in water) - 15 gm
Coriander powder - 1 tbsp
Coconut oil - 3 tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt - for taste
Mustard seeds - 2 tsp
Ginger /garlic -1 tbsp each
Curry leaves - A few
Coconut milk - 150ml
1. Clean the crab, separate the legs and break the shell.
2. Slice the shallots chillies and crush the ginger.
3. In an earthen pot or heavy bottomed pan, pour the oil.
4. Splutter the mustard seeds.
5. Sauté sliced onion, ginger and garlic until soft
6. Add the chilly powder, turmeric, coriander powder and salt
7. Reduce the heat to minimum and add the crab and the legs too and curry leaves.
8. Add green chilies and tamarind water, reduce the heat and cover the pan.
9. Cook until crabs are done. Finish it with coconut milk.
10. Remove from heat and garnish with curry leaves.